Dealing with Anxiety Holistically
Anxiety is one of the most pervasive problems in modern society. We all have a lot we could feel anxious about. But how do we stay ahead of it, and not let it overwhelm us.
The root of anxiety is a chemical imbalance with too much cortisol. This creates the fight or flight response which we feel as anxiety.
Since we are not animals being chased by preditors in the forest, the flight or flight response really serves no healthy purpose in our uban jungle. But because we are animals, many of us function from this fight or flight reaction most of the time, creating chaos for ourselves and those around us.
This is what I recommend if you are dealing with anxiety or know someone who is:
1. Diet: You will need to cut out all coffee, sugar, alcohol, and refined carbohydrates. These foods overstimulate your adrenal glands to produce cortisol. If feels good for a short time, but then your blood sugar drops and you will only need more stimulants. Eat smaller meals more frequently to help keep your blood sugar stable. Take the supplements chromium, and Glysen to help wth your cravings. If you have withdrawl headaches, then add homeopathic Nux vom 30C twice per day under the tongue.
2. Start an exercise program such as walking once or twice per day. This kicks in your natural hormones and keeps your stress level down. It also stimulates your thyroid gland to help with weight loss.
3. If you are already on anti-anxiety medications, discuss with your doctor how to slowly cut them back while taking natural herbs and supplements instead. NEVER stop taking your medication on your own without first discussing it with your medical doctor, as this will only create even more anxiety.
4. Learn to meditate for a minimum of 5 minutes twice per day. There are many free and low cost classes. I teach classes in meditation and can refer you to meditation groups as well. There are also plenty of relaxing videos on YouTube.
5. Begin acupuncure once per week. Acupuncture releases endorphins and serotonin, which help you to relax and sleep better. Most insurance will cover the cost of acupuncture.
6. Begin a supplement program. I will work out an individualized supplement program for you. The best way to to do this is to get a complete blood test to check your body chemistry, as well as a urine test to check your cortisol levels and a saliva test to check your neurotransmitter levels. Based on the results of the three tests, we wil work out a personalized supplement program for you.
7. Emotional support in the form of therapy is also helpful if you have never explored the underlying emotional causes for your anxiety. There are usually old childhood traumatic experiences that are being constantly re-triggered by current events in your life.
8. If you have any addictions, it is imperative to give those up. I recommend the 12-Step programs or other support groups. Whether it’s shopping, gambing, sex addiction, food addiction, drugs, alcohol, or co-dependancy, you will feel so much better if you get a handle on the addiction and get some support for changing the behavior. Addictions create an artificial stimulation of the feel good hormone dopamine. But addictions require you to keep up the negative behavior. It’s better to create a lifestyle and body chemistry that releases dopamine naturally.
9. Start on a constitutional homepathic remedy. Homeopathy is able to balance hormones while increasing your ability to handle everyday stress.
10. Try Chinese herbs on your own:
*Bupleurum and Peony Combination
*Ginseng and Longan Combination
11. Try Western herbs on your own:
12. Try nutritional supplements on your own:
*Fermented Cod Liver Oil
13. Deep Breathing: The first thing in the morning and the last thing in bed at night, do some deep breathing. There are many techniques. Try 4/2/4. Count to 4 breathing in through your nose, hold for 2 counts, breath out through your mouth 4 counts, and repeat for about 2 minutes. You can also do this practice whenever you are feeling anxious during the day.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions and to schedule a consultation: